Monday, December 14, 2009

Um.

K, I turned 36, right? So Jeff wakes up and makes me a breakfast & the kids bring it to me in bed. He takes the older kids to the Ward Christmas Breaky and the twins to my in-laws; you guys are amazing, thank you. Time alone. I took such a long shower, I was pruny before I shaved… how long has it been since I got pruny in a shower?

He comes back and starts cleaning the house with the kids, and tells me to go out somewhere and get away from the house. When I come back, the house is spotless. My daughters give me a birthday gift: the white coat in ensuing picture. We get ready to “go out.”

The door bell rings and at my door, is a giant piece of wrapping paper being held by… 4 beautiful women with bows on their heads: Mom, Jana, Kimmy & Christi!!!!



How he kept their plane flights, etc. from me, I’ll never know. We primped for a few minutes and left for The Roof, while Jeff took all my kids to his mama’s house so we could have the house for GNO.

There is a moment of silence here for his genius.


So when the waiter brings me my little dessert with a candle in it (my favorite way to get Happy Birthdayed at a restaurant), he also gives me this beautiful bouquet of orchids, pink gerbers, & mini roses. Gosh.

We come home to a spread of yummies, and my favorite women break out even more. We talk (all us girls are either pregnant or nursing, so the convo is the funnest EVER), soak our feet, pig out, and finally find beds to sleep in.

Is Jeff cool, or what?



BUT. THE COOLEST BIRTHDAY PRESENT CAME TODAY,
Monday, December 14th, 2009: The results of Carlie’s last MRI.

HER TUMOR IS GONE.
GONE.

Not just “stayed shrunken” like we were hoping for,
and just live with a benign tumor that makes her eye bulge
but doesn’t blind her.

GONE.

I’ve been sobbing all day. It doesn’t always happen like this,
but this time it did.
And I can’t praise my Heavenly Father enough
for this miracle in our lives.
Carlie has lost about 10 of her 24 extra pounds,
and is walking normally.
The swelling of the capillaries in that area
should resolve itself over a little more time,
and make her eye dilate normally.

So Wow on the flying my sisters in,
but I would take this “pseudo tumor” diagnosis any day
over any other great birthday present.
Pseudo Tumor. I love the sound of that,
and we are partying over here, Wendy’s & all.

20 comments:

Jasmine said...

Oh Melanie!!! Happy Birthday! (I totally should remember it, right?? Sorry!) Sounds like the perfect birthday!

So thrilled to hear about Carlie! I have so many friends hoping and praying for miracles in their own trials, but we know some will not be recipients of such miracles at this time. It is heartbreaking, but I am so thrilled to know that at least one of my friends' were blessed with such a miracle!! Big hugs to Carlie from us!!!

Tara said...

Happy Birthday! Wow, Jeff did an awesome job planning that out for you, I'm glad you had such a wonderful day. And awesome news about Carlie, I'm so glad to hear that!

Natalie said...

Such an awesome birthday -- but I think my favorite part is Carlie. SO happy, what a miracle! :)

Christi said...

I cried when I read about Carlie-what a huge blessing Melanie. I am so happy for your whole family. You are amazing and your faith is amazing and I'm glad your family was blessed with Carlie's miracle. It was so fun to see you and your family!

Giles Family said...

Happy Birthday Melanie.... Yes, your husband is very cool.... and WOW!!! such great news about Carlie! You have such a precious family... we miss you over in this neck of the woods!

David and Jana said...

Oh, Melanie.
I teared, too.
What a wonderful gift.
How wonderful for your family, for Carlie, for you and Jeff to have peace in your hearts. Thankyou Heavenly Father.
I love your family so much!

It was so fun to be with you. Memories to last a lifetime.

Martha Levie said...

Dearest Melanie

What a wonderful week! Your faith is great, what a beautiful, gospel centered family you and Jeff have built. We could not be happier for Carlie and all of you, all those prayer answered. It has been faith building for us to watch this whole experience. And wow, Jeff is the man. He definitely takes the cake for best husband present ever. I just have to say how great you look! Short hair looks so good on you & I love, love the coat. Happy Birthday - you deserve it all and more. Love you.

mad white woman said...

I almost started crying when I read about your sisters and mom coming to visit and then I really did start crying when I read about Carlie's tumor... or non existent tumor. :) I'm so happy for you and your family!

Company EIGHT said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I'm so glad you had such a fantastic day. I've been thinking of you--just in a Christmas blur (of my own doing, I should say). That Jeff...he's a keeper!!

Love you!

That is AWESOME news about Carlie....HOORAY!!!

myndie said...

Huzzah all around!! wow, wow and wow. so happy for you!

Rachel+Co said...

An absolutely wonderful husband! That is my dream birthday. What a fabulous surprise to have your mom and sisters on your doorstep.

And Carlie told me her wonderful, miraculous news at piano last week. I stand all amazed. I am so happy for everyone.

Happy really late birthday.

mommy said...

Happy late bday. Glad you had fun!

Congrats on Carlie's news.

larissa said...

I'm so happy to hear your great news! I haven't checked blogs for a LONG time, but it was fun to catch up on your family. You guys have quite a few exciting things going on at your house. I'm so happy for you.

larissa said...

I'm so happy to hear your great news! I haven't checked blogs for a LONG time, but it was fun to catch up on your family. You guys have quite a few exciting things going on at your house. I'm so happy for you.

larissa said...

I'm so happy to hear your great news! I haven't checked blogs for a LONG time, but it was fun to catch up on your family. You guys have quite a few exciting things going on at your house. I'm so happy for you.

larissa said...

As I said, I haven't checked blogs for quite awhile. How do you do this again? Sorry for all the repeats. :)

Aubrey said...

I am having a moment of silence for Jeff's genius. WOW! I would agree, however, that the most wonderful gift is that of Carlie. Congratulations. What a wonderful miracle at Christmas.

aaron said...

The bar has been set way too high. Flying sisters and zapping tumors? Even "Edward" can't compete with that. Good form Jeff. Congrats on the Carlie news. It couldn't have turned out better.

emurdock said...

melanie!!! I am so happy that Carlie's tumor is totally gone! and congrads on the baby that you have been wanting! I am so happy for you, except the vehicle that you are looking at is totally not you. Are you sure there are not anyother options for a vehicle???

Heather and Arik said...

What a miracle! God is good! We will pray for her continued health! Thank you so much for sharing the struggles and the blessings that you have experienced. Miss you guys!