--> {For 18 months – Jan ’17 to Jul ’18 – I’m posting our letter to Miranda while she's on her mission to Cochabamba, Bolivia. Our letter titles are taken from a list of family sayings & catchphrases we recorded onto a pillowcase she has with her. You can read her adventures on her mission blog: www.hermanamadsen.blogspot.com!}
Okay, hopefully this is the busiest week of the year. It's exhausting, and each thing is good; let's just slow down!!!
ON MONDAY, we hosted the twins' piano masters class. If you can just imagine the rolling around on the ground; calling out and laughing all the way through... but I would come into the room to correct, and it wasn't my children causing trouble! I was so happy. =) Halle playing "Jolly Old St. Nicholas:"
Kierste playing "Jingle Bells:"
That night, we stopped by the neighborhood Santa party. The Huishes retired the tradition this year, announcing it on the neighborhood FB page, and the Reynolds picked up the tradition in a fantastic save. It was so fun to see their new renovations on their house, all complete. =)
Then we left there, and ran to Carlie's choir concert. What a darling red-headed singer. =)
TUESDAY, we went to Morgan's basketball game. They stayed on top the first half, and kind of got trounced the second half. But it's still so fun to watch him play!
Then, still TUESDAY, Derek & I went Christmas shopping. When we got home I got this cuteness on camera. Carlie doesn't know she's so cute. How do we convince her???




WEDNESDAY, I got the boys off to school early with Carlie, curled the twins' hair and got them ready to ride the bus home with a friend for her bday party, ran Jr. High carpool without the boys (it was just Ella Ashcraft & Lexi Goff, so I brought them cookies to celebrate my birthday), showered, went to lunch with my friends (Kristen Edwards, Tina Cooper, Katiana Goff), ran errands, ran carpools again, and did all the Mom stuff until 4pm. Dad said that I should go do whatever I wanted that evening. So I decided to go to Kiri's violin performance up at the UofU... enemy territory. =)
While I was gone, Derek was MC-ing at the Court of Honor with Dad & Morgan,
Carlie was at mutual, the twins were at a birthday party and would come home during mutual by themselves, and Connor was playing at James' house.
My mom & dad & Grant came and we went up together to Salt Lake. Instead of going out to eat, we decided to take the same money and find those Light the World vending machines and buy some things. It was so fun to see them and to see all the things available to buy. My parents bought some chickens =) and first aid kits, and I bought some washable nursing pads and solar lanterns. It made me want to keep swiping the card and pressing buttons! There are missionaries there to help with the vending machines and take pictures of people. =)
We went across the street to Deseret Book and found Kiri a nesting nativity, instead of flowers for her concert. =) It was amazing, and the setting was so beautiful - the music hall was all decorated for Christmas.
That night, Dad had to leave for work, but we squeezed presents in. =) The kids gave me battery-operated socks, a feet warmer/massager to put under the library desk for when I'm writing your letter late at night, snow globe, Santa at the Nativity figurine, a giant external hard drive, my own pocket knife for when I don't want to carry my gun but I want to be JUST AS FORMIDABLE.























And Dad gave me... drumroll....
Wow, what a birthday. =)
THURSDAY, we went to Morgan's choir concert - Mr. Troubadour. Their choir is so fun to listen to, and Mrs. Jolley makes it so fun & engaging. =)
Notice I didn't even bother with the whole section of girls in the choir. My boy is that handsome one on the end. Let me zoom in for you:
Since it was Chloe's birthday, we petted her a lot, gave her a bath (her FAVE), gave her treats and extra food (let's be serious: best day of the year for her), and took a picture with her. =)
Then, still THURSDAY night, we put Carlie & the 3 little kids to bed =) And went to see Star Wars: the Last Jedi at 11:20. Carlie will go see it on a DATE next week, and the littles will go see it at a reasonable time next week, also!
I snuck some pics during the movie. Promise not to remember the images, and this will be fine:
It was awesome; there are some complaints, but really, it's Star Wars, and you have to love Star Wars. Then Morgan came home and still stayed up 'til 4 writing an English essay. Yikes!
FRIDAY, I went to take pictures at Connor's class pj Christmas party with Santa before squeezing in some Christmas shopping,
and had to get this picture when I got home. Carlie's latest creation. So Christmassy!! =)
The twins took turns going Christmas shopping with me that night, and I don't know how we're going to finish it all still!
So do you eat churizo? Because you shouldn't. =) For our ward breakfast SATURDAY, I signed up to bring some, and then while I was cooking it, I made the mistake of reading the ingredients. #1 ingredient: pig salivary glands and lymph nodes. Some other ingredients, like salt, water, soy, and then along the way: pork. Who knows. Anyway the cultural hall looked amazing, the YW sang Silent Night in French, and we were able to do the nativity scene again, where the kids came up afterward and got a treat from the wisemen after seeing the Christmas Family. =) I love it when they do that.
After the breaky, Morgan went on his Christmas shopping date with me, and the only act of service we found that time was to leave some quarters in gumball machines. That will make some kids really happy. =) Or grownups, it doesn't really matter!!
On our way home, we stopped by and picked up Adrianny & Lianny and assembled the NICU welcome kits. On Dad's way to work, we stopped by and dropped them off with him at the NICU.
The nurse told us there was a lady right then who was going to room in with her baby, and she wouldn't have any of the things we had in the kit, so she would love to give her one of those that night. I talked to the kids about why we didn't come in and take pictures with all the staff and make sure they knew our names, making a scene. We walked in, explained what they were, and walked out. Doing things for others shouldn't be something they are able to thank us for, or find us and glorify us. It's ok to tell people some of the good things you're doing, so in that way you can spread light in the world, and share examples of ways to serve. It helps me to hear what others do, so I can see ways to help others, too. But when you do it to be recognized and admired, you have your reward. It was a really cool experience; I hope it helps the moms who stay there. =)
Then we came home and turned on some Christmas movies and put up a little more Christmas decor around the house. This is the weirdest year. =)
Hey, this week's Light the World was mostly tied up in getting the kids to each thing they needed to be at, checking up on all their classes so they can get good grades, Christmas shopping dates, and the one big effort for the NICU moms. I hope we'll be able to find some more things this week! Maybe we can turn one or both of our extended family parties into a service activity in some way... I'll start trying to make that happen and get back to you. I can't wait to hear how your week was, all the way across (down) the world from us!!! =)
And the memes!!! Mostly Christmas and Star Wars. =)
And I'm sorry, but this one is so cute still, even though...
LOVE YOU!!!!!!!! Can't wait to speak to you and see your darling self next week!!!!
~us, the family who can hardly stand it we love you so much!
No comments:
Post a Comment